People will be wondering whether investing in such a large bit of kit is really worth it, when they could just chug along with their trusty sharp knife, however the benefits go far further than convenience. Most families, especially those with young children will be spending a fortune of processed meats every week to fill sandwiches and lunch boxes. By investing in a meat slicer and cutting the meat yourself, you would be saving a ton of money and giving you and your family much more choice and control over the meat that they eat. The same is true for big family dinners. If you want to cook a steak dinner for a family of 6, then buying 6 individual steaks is going to set you back a considerable amount, however if you have your own meat slicer you can simply buy one joint a beef and slice it into steaks. You can freeze anything you have left over so nothing will go to waste. If you suffer from arthritis or any other condition that could compromise the strength in your arms, then it’s inevitable that you will find wielding a knife pretty difficult. With a best meat slicer, you won’t have to use a knife ever again as the slicer can do all those jobs for you. Finally, meat slicers can cut much more than just meat, they also work great on cheese and a variety of breads.
Guideline to finding the best meat slicer
The type of meat slicer that is best suited to you will depend entirely on your needs.
Meat Slicer Level
- Entry Level– Entry level slicers are the best option for home use, or for commercial purposes when it is only going to be used for a maximum of two hours per day. However, most entry level models do not offer the safety and convenience features that a higher level slicer would
- Mid-Tier Level– This level slicer can withstand a lot more use than an entry level slicer. It is common to find that a mid-tier slicer has larger blades than an entry level model, and you can also expect it to have a tad more horsepower.
- Premium Level– Premium level is pretty self-explanatory. A premium level slicer will be at impeccably designed and constructed and should also include numerous safety and design features. Premium slicers are most suited to commercial operations when then will be used continuously. The precision of the slices and the smoothness of the operation should be of the highest quality.
Basic Components of a Meat Slicer
- Product Table– Sometimes called a carriage the product table is where the food needing to be sliced is placed. Often there are tilted so the food slides towards the blade easier.
- Pusher– This will hold the food still while it is being sliced. Often this part can be removed easily for cleaning.
- Gauge Plate– The gauge plate is what moves to determine the thickness of the slices that are cut.
- Sharpener– This will be built in to the unit and is used to keep the blade razor sharp and in optimum sharpening condition.
- Blade and Blade Guard– On many slicer models that blade itself is permanently attached to the unit. However in order to ensure the safety of the user and anyone else in the kitchen a blade guard should be provided. On many of the premium models the blade can be removed for a thorough cleaning, which is needed due to the more frequent and heavy duty use.
What do you need to consider when buying a meat slicer?
- Design and Construction– The best meat slicers will always consider safety to be a top priority, and safety is definitely something you need to look for. The construction of a really good meat slicer should be able to provide adequate protection during use, and should also allow the user to disassemble and reassemble for maintenance with ease. In general you should be looking for slicers that are created from high quality materials such as stainless steel and forged aluminium. Other design considerations to look out for include; the sharpness of the blade, smooth slicing action, automated slicing mechanisms as well as tilted slicing tables so you can transfer food easily.
- Ease of Maintenance– The best meat slicers will make maintenance quick and easy. Meat slicers obviously come into contact with all type of food products, and even occasionally raw meat which can leave dangerous bacteria behind. This is why it is so important than any area of the slicer that touches the meat directly can be removed and cleaner thoroughly. Another thing to consider is the maintenance of the blade. The slicer will not provide good results if the blade is not sharp enough, therefore it is important to ensure that maintaining the blade is simple.
- Slicing Quality and Versatility– Versatility is always a great benefit with any product, but when it comes to finding the best meat slicers, it is more of a necessity. Any slicer you choose should be able to provide you with slices of various thickness, and should also be able to easily slice a range of foods, including; meat, bread and cheese.
- Price– The price of a meat slicer will greatly depend on what it is to be used for. For example, slicers used for commercial purposes such as in delis and restaurants will need to be high performing, durable and long lasting and this will definitely increase the price. If you are looking for a meat slicer to use at home, then you can likely find to suit your needs for a much lower price.
TOP 5 BEST MEAT SLICERS 2015
Best Choice Products New 10” Blade Commercial Deli Meat Food Slicer
The Best Choice Products commercial food slicer is CE approved and features a 10” stainless steel blade. The heavy duty blade slices easily through deli meat and cheese. This product is highly recommended for anyone who wants to slice large amounts of meat. It can easily slice through 8 Ibs meat in at little as 10 minutes. Because of the sheer size of the machine it can be quite a pain to clean, and you should expect to spend around 15 minutes cleaning it after use. To clean the product you will need to loosen the knob holding the sharpening unit and remover the guard, do the same around the center blade. Then take out the screws holding the blade in place, remove the blade and begin cleaning.
- Slices meat easily without breaking down the muscle fiber structure.
- The unit features a massive 240 watts of power.
- The product is semi-automatic which makes cutting smooth and precise.
- The On-Off switch comes with a waterproof cover for easy use.
- The product is quite heavy and so isn’t easily manouvered around a busy kitchen.
- The sheer size of the unit makes it difficult to store.
EdgeCraft Chef’s Choice 610 Premium Electric Food Slicer
The Chef’s Choice premium slicer from EdgeCraft is made from cast aluminium with a stainless steel blade. The tilted and large capacity food carriage and cantilever is designed to provide fast and efficient slicing. The design and construction is definitely superior to many other consumer grade slicers on the market. There is not one piece of flimsy sheet metal on it at all. The slicing adjuster is easy to use as it’s situated just behind the back plate. The safety features are good which makes it a great addition to a family kitchen and also the set-up is easy and cleaning is quick and simple.
- The blade is easily removed for cleaning.
- There is a safety fuse at the base of the slicer for power surge protection.
- It has a high torque electric motor that is smooth and powerful
- When the unit is not in use the food carriage locks into position to limit access to the sharp blade and ensure safety.
- The slicer also comes with a handy serving tray
- Product only comes with a serrated blade any other kinds of blades need to be purchased separately.
Continental PS77711 Professional Series Deli Slicer
The Continental professional series deli slicer features a 7.5” blade formed of stainless steel, inside a heavy duty cast iron and cast aluminium body. This is probably one of the most safety conscious models out there as the motor will regularly decrease the speed in order to make sure your thumbs stay attached to your hands. There is no need to take the whole thing apart to clean it as you can simply wipe it down with soap and water after each use. One downside to this model is that it’s not great at slicing cheese as the stickiness slows the blade down.
- The non-slip feet make it easy and safe to use on any surface.
- The 150 Watt motor makes cutting fast.
- The thickness of the slices can be easily adjusted
- The moveable fence that aligns the meat with blade is held on by one single machine screw, which can easily disintegrate or fall out with regular use.
Weston 61-0901-W Heavy Duty Food 9-Inch Slicer
The Weston heavy duty food slicer features a compact design making it easy to store and transport. The blade is a high quality rotary blade formed of stainless steel, and it can be removed for easy cleaning. The 9 inch blade means that slicing large pieces of meat is a breeze. Another great factor is the suctions on the base of the unit as this prevents any movement during use. The clean-up is really quick and simple, however you do need to watch the blade as it’s incredibly sharp. When used for a longer period of time the unit can become very warm and be in danger of overheating.
- The slicer features a large capacity stainless steel food tray that tilts out so it can easily be cleaned.
- The thickness of the slices can be easily adjusted from deli thin to over ½ an inch.
- The unit is powered by a belt driven 150 watt motor that slices through meat and vegetables smoothly and quickly.
- The unit only comes with a smooth edge blade.
Chef’s Choice 615 Premium Electric Food Slicer
The Chef’s Choice premium electric food slicer is versatile and rugged, formed of cast aluminium with a tough stainless steel blade. It’s multi-purpose and can slice a wide variety of foods. The only part of this model that is plastic is the slider mechanism, and it still moves smoothly despite this. The one year warranty definitely brings peace of mind. Compared to many other models, this one is not too heavy so can easily be transported wherever it’s needed. The storage compartment for the plug is a really nice touch and makes it easier to pack the whole thing away compactly.
- All parts of the unit are removable and can be cleaned easily.
- Food carriage can be locked into position to limit access to the blade when the unit is not in use.
- High torque electric motor for reliable and smooth slicing.
- The parts of the slicer that touch food are not dishwasher friendly and must be washed by hand.
- The product only comes with a serrated edge blade which limits the possibilities of use.